Wednesday, April 27, 2011

April 15, 1861 (Monday): North Carolina Refuses Levy of Troops

Governor Ellis of North Carolina.


RALEIGH, N.C. April 15, 1861.

Hon. Simon Cameron, Secretary of War:

Your dispatch is received, and if genuine, which its extraordinary character leads me to doubt, I have to say in reply that I regard the levy of troops made by the administration for the purpose of subjugating the States of the South as in violation of the Constitution and a gross usurpation of power.  I can be no party to this wicked violation of the laws of the country, and to this war upon the liberties of a free people.  You can get no troops from North Carolina.  I will reply more in detail when your call is received by mail.

JOHN W. ELLIS
Governor of North Carolina.

Editors Note:  Ellis would die on July 7, 1861, with his death attributed to overwork and the strain of the coming of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment