Sunday, July 10, 2011

July 10, 1861 (Wednesday): McClellan Prepares For Battle At Rich Mountain

Brigadier-General William S. Roscrans


HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE OHIO,
Middle Fork Bridge, Va., July 10, 1861. 

To Lieutenant Colonel E. D. TOWNSEND:
In sight of the enemy,who is strongly intrenched and holds firm. A strong armed reconnaissance is now starting out. I think I can turn his position; feel sure of success in any event. This country exceedingly difficult to operate in. My other column from Philippi is also within a mile of the entrenchments on Laurel Hill; advanced guards within two hundred yards of the enemy on each line; all my men eager for the fight. The companies at Glenville are safe, and favorable chance of cutting off O. J. Wise. I shall make no further extended movement without laying the whole case before the General and obtaining his orders in advance. Wish to clear my department fully of the enemy, and then be ready to carry out the views of the General-in-Chief. Can shorten distance from base by adopting a new base in event of extended operations.
Please send me more regular officers; some old regiments, if possible. I want those mountain guns at once. I have great difficulties to meet, but have gone into them knowing that the General will give me support as I need it, and that he will appreciate my position.

GEO. B. MCLELLAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

Official Records, Series I, Vol. 2, page 202

McClellan has reached the location of Camp Garnett, near Rich Mountain.  Stopping along  Roaring Creek (near present-day Mabie, WV) he sends three brigades forward along the road to the camp and encounters heavy infantry and artillery fire.  General Rosecrans develops a plan to turn the position which will the next day result in the Battle of Rich Mountain.

No comments:

Post a Comment