Monday, September 26, 2011

September 26, 1861 (Saturday): Another Skirmish at Lewinsville

General Joseph B. Kershaw

HEADQUARTERS ADVANCED FORCES,
September 26, 1861.

Col. Thomas Jordan,
     Assistant Adjutant-General:
   COLONEL:  I send herewith the report of Colonel Stuart upon the movement of yesterday.  Colonel Kershaw’s will be forwarded as soon as received.*  I am inclined to think that the failure of the effort is due entirely to Colonel Kershaw’s getting on a different road from the one I intended he should have taken.  Had he been up to time there is no doubt but there would have been one more Bull Run affair.  As things miscarried, the enemy discovered us in time to get a good start.  I would be glad to have the streams between the Court-House and this bridged.  The crossings are almost impassable.  My bake over is just finished here and I would like to get a couple of bakers.  The details from my own brigade are so heavy that I do not wish to order it from my own.  My masons, by the by, declare that we will surely move in a few days, as we have not yet been able to use one of the last three ovens they have built.  A verbal message was left here a few days ago to the effect that it was not desired to keep our pickets strictly to their present line.  Is it desired that they should advance?  I have kept them from moving a little at a time where it can be done, but do not think any force strong enough to make any decided advance movement.  The message left on Munson’s Hill by Colonel Preston, of General Johnston’s staff.  Colonel Kershaw’s regiment has at his request been allowed to remain here a few days over his time.
   I remain, sir, very respectfully,
                                                                        JAMES LONGSTREET
                                                                        Brigadier-General, Commanding

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 51, Part 2, Page 314

A Union force of 5,100 men under Baldy Smith moved forward to Lewinsville to forage.  Having gathered a considerable quantity of supplies they were near ready to return when attacked by Kershaw’s men.  As with the first engagement at Lewinsville two weeks before, casualties on both sides were light.  This would be the first, and not the last, time Longstreet would blame a failed attack on someone else being on the wrong road at the wrong time.

No comments:

Post a Comment