Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 23, 1862 (Sunday): Halleck Makes A Power Play

General Henry Halleck (National Archives)

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE MISSOURI,
Saint Louis, February 23 [21], 1862.
E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:
    One whole week has been lost already by hesitation and delay. There was, and I think there still is, a golden opportunity to strike a fatal blow, but I can't to it unless I can control Buell's army. I am perfectly willing to act as General McClellan dictates or take any amount of responsibility. To succeeded we must be prompt. I have explained everything to General McClellan and Assistant Secretary Scott. There is not a moment to be lost. Give me authority, and I will be responsible for results.



H. W. HALLECK,
Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 7, Part 1, Page 655.

Halleck had heard rumors of a panicked Confederate evacuation of Nashville and wanted to push forward.  Commandore Foote wanted permission to advance the gunboats, even ahead of troops, and no doubt the city could have been easily taken.  But Buell was out of telegraph range and Halleck believed McClellan wanted Buell, McClellan's friend, to take the city.  Meanwhile Grant was headed for Nashville as well.  It was a volatile mix of opportunity and ego and in this message Halleck was showing the strain of the combination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment