Tuesday, March 6, 2012

March 7, 1862 (Friday): Grant Offers to Resign

General U. S. Grant

FORT HENRY, March 7, 1862.
Maj. Gen. H. W. HALLECK, Saint Louis, Mo.;
   Your dispatch of yesterday just received.  I did all I could to get you returns of the strength of my command.  Every move I made was reported daily to your chief of staff, who must have failed to keep you properly posted.  I have done my very best to obey orders and to carry out the interests of the service.  If my course is not satisfactory, remove me at once.  I do not wish to impede in any way the success of our arms.  I have averaged writing more than once a day since leaving Cairo to keep you informed of my position, and it is no fault of mine if you have not received my letters.  My going to Nashville was strictly intended for the good of the service, and not to gratify any desire of my own.
   Believing sincerely that I must have enemies between you and myself, who are trying to impair my usefulness, I respectfully ask to be relieved from further duty in the department.
                                                                                    U. S. GRANT,
                                                                                           Major-General

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 10, Part 2, Page 15

What Grant and Halleck did not know was Grant’s telegrams were not sent because the telegraph operator he gave them to, ironically, had a drinking issue.  It is interesting to note Grant's offer came exactly one month from the battle of Shiloh.

No comments:

Post a Comment