Monday, January 9, 2012

January 13, 1862 (Sunday): Sixteen Miles In Three Days

General George H. Thomas


HDQRS. FIRST DIV., DEPT. OF THE OHIO,
Camp at Webb’s Cross-Roads, Ky., January 13, 1862.
Brigadier-General SCHOEPF,
             Commanding at Somerset:
   GENERAL:  I received yours of the 11th to-day, by Captain Hall.  When I last wrote you I was in hopes of being near Somerset by this time, but the heavy rains have injured the roads so much that it will be impossible to say now when I can be in your vicinity.  We have already been three days in making 16 miles, and our ammunition and provisions are far behind now—probably will not be up by to-morrow night.  Should I ever succeed in getting near you, I will send a messenger to let you know.  I wrote to General Buell five days since, submitting your proposition of crossing the river and attacking from the bluffs of Meadow Creek, but have received no reply from him up to this time.  As soon as I hear I will write you the result.
   I have not had time to converse with the men you sent me fully, but if it be possible to approach the enemy by way of White Oak Creek I should like to have them as guides.
   Respectfully, your obedient servant,
                                                                        GEO. H. THOMAS,
                                                            Brigadier-General, U. S. Army, Commanding.

Series I. Vol. 7, Part 1, Page 550.

Thomas was slowing moving east toward Somerset, where Confederate General Felix Zollicoffer had sent 4,000 move into a strong defensive position near Mill Spring.  Halleck and Buell, ordered by Lincoln to cooperate in a move to get troops to east Tennessee to protect Unionists there, had acquiesced with Thomas’ move east, but had little confidence in Thomas or his advance.  Thomas would acquit himself well during the advance, but the logistics of moving across primitive roads in January were difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment