Friday, January 6, 2012

January 7, 1862 (Monday): Birth of a Reluctant Campaign

Fort Donelson, TN (NPS)

WASHINGTON, January 7, 1862.

Brigadier General D. C. BUELL, Louisville:
Please name as early a day as you safely can on or before which you can be ready to move southward in concert with Major-General Halleck. Delay is ruining us, and it is indispensable for me to have something definite. I send a like dispatch to Major-General Halleck.


A. LINCOLN.

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE MISSOURI,
Saint Louis, January 7, 1862.-(midnight).

ABRAHAM LINCOLN, President, Washington:
I have asked General Buell to designate a day for a demonstration to assist him. It is all I can do till I get arms. I have no arms. I have sent two unarmed regiments to assist in the feint. I wrote you yesterday and will again to-night.*


H. W. HALLECK,
Major-General.

*Letter not found.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 7, Part 1, Page 535

Again bypassing McClellan, Lincoln continues to goad Halleck and Buell into action.  Ultimately, the campaign he precipitated will result in the capture of Forts Henry and Donelson.

No comments:

Post a Comment