Tuesday, July 17, 2012

July 18, 1862 (Saturday): "Semi-Pious, Semi-Official, and Altogether Disagreeable"

Marker Commemorating Montgomery White Sulphur Springs



MONTGOMERY WHITE SULPHUR SPRINGS, MONTGOMERY COUNTY, VA.,
July 18, 1862.
General J. E. JOHNSTON:
   MY DEAR JO.: Yours of the 28th of June, inclosing sheets of my report, was received yesterday, postmarked Richmond, June 30. Rather a long time coming it seems to me. I at once omitted the portions alluding to the two subjects referred to by yourself, and by the train to-day send the corrected sheets with this by Captain Beckham, aide-de-camp, to insure against further unnecessary delay. The news you have me from the battle-field was a "little old," but I felt none the less gratified that you wrote me in spite of wounds and pains, and was as mad as ---, and "cussed" some about "Confederate mails." I wrote Lee asking him to reform my division and make certain disposition of my staff the day before I left Richmond. He has taken no notice of the letter, but Melton saw Chilton on the subject and received for answer "that matter has all been settled already," or something to that effect. Lee gave me to understand that he had no expectation even of Jackson's army crossing the Blue Ridge toward Richmond, and when I put the questions at him direct he said that under certain contingencies, of which he had not yet heard, Whitting's troops and Lawton's would come back to the army around Richmond, but there was no present intention of bringing any further troops from Jackson's command. This was on Saturday afternoon, the 21st of June, the day I visited you last. He had just had a long private interview with the President. What think you of that? He mentioned nothing of re-enforcements coming from the South, and left me in that respect under the old decision when you commanded, viz: "We have no re-enforcements for the Army of the Potomac; not a man can be spared from any place whatever." General Cooper telegraphed me on the 5th of July, saying that the President desired to know if my health was sufficiently restored to enable me to take command of the Department of South Carolina and Georgia. There was several days' delay in its reaching me. I answered immediately on its receipt, "My health is not yet sufficiently restored to enable me to return to duty." I have heard nothing more from it. I came off on a three weeks' leave. Just before it expired I requested Beckham to write to Chilton, for Lee's information, saying that I would not return because not well enough, but was improving. I received yesterday a note from Lee, in answer to Beckham's note to Chilton, first a layer of sugar, three lines, then two lines telling me to forward a certificate, and three more lines of sugar. I shall keep him informed from time to time of the condition of my heath.
    Gaillard is with me, so I feel quite assured of correct information and judgment in the case, and do not propose supplying General Lee with any more surgeon's certificates beyond that upon which the original leave was granted. He took special pains to tell me, when I called to find out about Jackson's movements, in order to judge whether I had better stay in Richmond any longer waiting for a battle, that he could not grant me leave except on surgeon's certificate; that was "his rule," he said. I told him I didn't come to ask for leave, but to get information upon which to determine whether I would yield to the advice of the surgeons and leave the city, adding that I had already put it off for ten days or more in anticipation of active operations, and was getting worse, instead of better. In a semi-pious, semi-official, and altogether disagreeable manner, he commenced regretting that I hadn't gone sooner; considered that the army had lost my services for ten days unnecessarily - and other like stuff. We "will bide our time." All I want is success to the cause; but there is a limit beyond which forbearance ceases to be a virtue, and if provoked much further I will tear the mask off of some who think themselves wonderfully successful in covering up their tracks. But I a, transferring all rules for myself about thinking at present, let alone writing, upon such subjects. I am improving, but do not get straight in brain and nerves as fast as I hoped-in fact, in these respects have improved very little- but my general health is already quite good, and Galliard says that with prudence perfect recovery is certain. Write me how you are, and all you know of your probable future command.
    Yours, as ever,


GUSTAVUS W. SMITH.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 51, Part 2, Page 594.

Graduating 6th in the West Point class of 42', Smith came into the war with a reputation which ultimately proved to be in excess of his abilities.  He had suffered a bout of paralysis in the summer of 1861 before his coming South and the same malady afflicted him on June 2nd just at the conclusion of the battle of Seven Pines.  Already part of Johnston's anti-Davis contingent, he was relieved from command because of his health issues and later shifted to lesser commands when he returned to duty.  Ironically, given his issues with Davis and Lee, he was interim Secretary of War for 4 days  in November 1862.  This letter provides a remarkable window into the animus between Smith and Johnston toward Davis, and the degree to which they associated Lee with Davis.  Smith's attitude toward Lee can only be termed venomous, and it can logically be inferred Johnston shared that attitude in that Smith is so free to denigrate Lee.  The white sulphur springs at Montgomery County (Christiansburg, Va) were a convalescent camp established near the springs in cottages for wounded soldiers.
 











No comments:

Post a Comment