Wednesday, May 2, 2012

May 3, 1862 (Friday): Arresting Developments

Camp Winfield Scott Near Yorktown


CAMP WINFIELD SCOTT, May 3, 1862.
(Received May 4, 1862-8 a.m.)

Honorable E. M. STANTON:
   I regret to learn that Colonel Campbell, Fifth Pennsylvania Cavalry, has been placed in arrest by Major-General McDowell for endeavoring to comply with my positive order to him to report with his regiment for duty at this place. This regiment was never assigned to General McDowell's corps, but was detailed by me to General Keyes' corps. I, of course, expected it to follow me as soon as transportation could be provided, and am not a little surprised to learn that my instructions have been interfered with and my force diminished by the action of the commanding officer of the Department of the Rappahannock, in violation of General Orders, No. 29, War Department, Adjutant-General's Office, March 22, 1862.
    Under these circumstances I beg the immediate interposition of the War Department to relieve from arrest a meritorious officer, against whom there appears to be no complaint save that of obedience to the orders of his rightful commander. I also ask that the regiment, as well as the First New Jersey, Colonel Wyndham, may be permitted to join the army under my command without further delay.



GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 11, Part 3, Page 132.

The animosity between McDowell and McClellan is well documented.  The administration was very concerned with the safety of Washington and had retained McDowell closer to the capital.  From this position McDowell would have no doubt appropriated any force passing through his territory. That he would arrest the commanding officer of those troops, as in this case, is some indication of the dissension within the Union Army.

No comments:

Post a Comment