Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 7, 1862 (Wednesday): Eltham's Landing

Eltham's Landing.  Confederates advanced from the top of the page, Franklin's Division moved to the attack from left to right.  (Google Earth)
 


HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF THE POTOMAC, Williamsburg, May 7, 1862. 

Hon. E. M. STANTON,
Secretary of War:
    Franklin's and Sedgwick's divisions are near West Point, landed, and as I am informed were engaged with the enemy during most of the day, with good apparent results. I am pushing up re-enforcements to him as rapidly as possible. I sent out Stoneman this morning with cavalry, artillery, and infantry to reconnoiter the country along the Lower Chickahominy; they have not yet returned. I have had a large force repairing roads so that I can pass artillery over them. My own movements to-morrow will depend upon Stoneman's report
to-night. I regret that my presence with the army at this particular time is of such vast importance that I cannot leave to confer with the President and yourself, but I dare not leave for one hour. The enemy were badly whipped, but will probably fight again. Our men behaved nobly and are in excellent heart and spirits.



GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 11, Part 3, Page 148.

McClellan hoped to cut off Johnston's supply training moving up the mud filled roads from Williamsburg by landing Franklin's Division above the retreat at Eltham's Landing opposite West Point on the York River.  Confederates under G. W. Smith, lead by John Bell Hood, drove the landing party back to the river opening the way for the retreat to continue.  This saved a large supply train which was at nearby Barhamsville.   

No comments:

Post a Comment