Sunday, May 6, 2012

May 6, 1862 (Tuesday): McClellan's Doubt Returns

Battle of Williamsburg (nps.gov)

Numbers 1. Reports of Major General George B. McClellan,
U. S. Army, commanding Army of the Potomac.*

BIVOUAC FRONT OF WILLIAMSBURG, May 5, 1862-10 p. m.
    After arranging for movement up York River I was urgently sent for here. I find Joe Johnston in front of me in strong force, probably a good deal greater than my own, and very strongly intrenched. Hancock has taken two redoubts and repulsed Early's brigade by a real charge with the bayonet, taking 1 colonel and 150 prisoners, killing at least 2 colonels and as many lieutenant colonels and many privates. His conduct was brilliant in the extreme. I do not know our exact loss, but fear Hooker has lost considerably on our left.
    I learn from prisoners that they intend disputing every step to Richmond. I shall run the risk of at least holding them in check here while I resume the original plan. My entire force is undoubtedly considerably inferior to that of the rebels, who still fight well, but I will do all I can with the force at my disposal.



GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General, Commanding.

HEADQUARTERS FORT MONROE, May 6, 1862.
(Received 12.20 p.m.)

Hon. E. M. STANTON:
The desponding tone of Major-General McClellan's dispatch of last evening more than surprises me. He says his entire force is undoubtedly considerably inferior to that of the rebels. If such is the fact I am still more surprised that they should have abandoned Yorktown.



JOHN E. WOOL,
Major-General.

*See also his general report, pp. 19-23.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 11, Part 1, Pages 448 & 143, respectively.

McClellan had the professional background, organizational skills, and intellect for his position.  But at moments of decision he lacked the conviction to overcome his doubts.  Wool, at 78, grasped the obvious point McClellan could not see.  If the Confederates had the force McClellan thought, they would not have been in retreat at that moment up the Peninsula.

No comments:

Post a Comment