Sunday, August 12, 2012

August 12, 1862 (Wednesday): McClellan's Last Bid

General Henry Halleck
BERKELEY, VA., August 12, 1862-4 p.m. [Received 11,8 p.m.]
Major General H. W. HALLECK:
    Information from various sources received within a few days past goes to corroborate the evidence you have received that the rebel army at Richmond has been much weakened by detachments sent to Gordonsville, and that the remaining forces have been so much dispersed between Richmond and this place on both sides James River as to render it doubtful if they can be concentrated again rapidly. D. H. Hill, with a division or more, is in the vicinity of Petersburg; others are along the south bank of James River back of Fort Darling, and I am quite certain that Longstreet, with about 18,000 men, now occupies an intrenched position, which can probably be turned, and is about 3 miles above Malvern Hill. I can in forty-eight hours advance on him and either drive him into the works around Richmond or defeat and capture his force. Should I succeed in accomplishing the latter I see but little difficulty, if my information prove correct, in pushing rapidly forward into Richmond. This would involve the co-operation of all my available force, but the question would soon be decided, and if successful, I should require re-enforcements to maintain my communications.
    This effort would, it seems to me, have the effect to draw back the forces now before General Pope, and thus relieve Washington from all danger. One of my general officers, who for five days past has held a position near Malvern Hill, in a letter just received, says:
    The enemy before us is weak, and from all I can learn there is not 36,000 men between this and Richmond, nor do I believe they can get more before we can drive them. * * * I have good guides, &c.
    General Barnard, chief of my engineers, is decidedly in favor of this movement at this time.
    Under these circumstances I consider it my duty to present the foregoing information, and for your consideration, as under existing orders I do not feel authorized to make the movement.
     I shall continue to forward re-enforcements and sick as rapidly as transports arrive, and have given the necessary instructions to insure no delay in moving the army.


GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 11, Part 3, Page 373.

It would have been very difficult, having already begun sending troops to the rear and making preparations to evacuate his positions, for McClellan to have made the move contemplated here.  He is restating for Halleck the information Pleasonton had sent to him the previous day.  Halleck's reply is not recorded, as the next letter from him to McClellan in the O.R. is on the 14th, stating Pope had beaten Jackson at Cedar Mountain and was no waiting for reinforcement from McClellan.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment