Sunday, August 26, 2012

August 27, 1862 (Thursday) "Have you any news..."

Old Bristoe Station (NVCC.edu)


ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862- 8 a.m.
I arrived here last night, and have taken measures to ascertain the state of affairs here, and that proper remedies may be applied. Just received a rumor that railway bridge over Bull Run was burned last night.


GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.

ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862.
General BURNSIDE:
Have you any news from the front this morning?


GEO. B. McCLELLAN.

WAR DEPARTMENT,
Washington, D. C., August 27, 1862.
Major-General POPE,
via Falmouth:
    The enemy is concentrating, it seems, between you and Alexandria, near Manassas and Bull Run. You must look out for this and immediately break it up, for your supplies must come from Washington, and you must fall back in this direction if compelled to retreat. Do not let him separate you from Alexandria. We will send out troops to meet you, but we are short of transportation. Keep me advised, if possible.


H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief.

HDQRS. THIRD ARMY CORPS, ARMY OF VIRGINIA,
Warrenton, Va., August 27, 1862.
[Major-General POPE?]:
     Your telegram of 12 midnight is only just received. I will endeavor to have Buford ascertain as soon as he can, and as far as he can, the extent of the enemy's movement toward White Plains. I saw General Sigel late last night and his scouts, and did not learn that the general had any other information than I gave you in my telegram of 10 o'clock p.m., and he was not aware of the negro's statement, which I sent you at 9 o'clock p.m. Your telegram of 11 p.m. last night was received. My corps is at present posted as follows: King's division on Sulphur Springs road, one brigade near Springs; Ricketts on Waterloo road, about 4 miles from town; Reynolds inside and between the others.


IRVIN McDOWELL,
Major-General.


WARRENTON, VA., August 27, 1862-8.45.
Major-General POPE:
I have just received your telegram of 5.30 a.m. I have ordered Sigel to send immediately a strong advance from his corps to seize the position of Buckland Mills or Broad Run, and follow immediately with his corps. Can you spare time to come to the instrument and have a conversation with me?


IRVIN McDOWELL,
Major-General.


FAIRFAX, VA.-8.50 a.m.
Colonel HAUPT:
Heavy cannonading commenced, probably at Manassas, about 15 minutes since.

BRAYTON.

Major-General McCLELLAN.
WASHINGTON, August 27, 1862.
    I can get no satisfactory information from the front, either of the enemy or of our troops. There seems to have been great neglect and carelessness about Manassas. Franklin's corps should march in that direction as soon as possible. A competent officer should be sent out to take direction of affairs in that vicinity.


H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief.

ALEXANDRIA DEPOT, VA., August 27, 1862-10.50 a.m.
Major General H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
    I venture the suggestion: As soon as the cars return which carried troops to Union Mills I propose to load the whole with subsistence, but on top and inside 1,500 or 2,000 more men, and endeavor by all means to work the train through. The most serious matter, if true, is the capture of some pieces of our artillery, which, if turned against our trains, would render an advance impossible. I am told that a battery left here yesterday and should this morning be near Manassas, but I fear it has no infantry support. I am not advised of any movement, except those made under my direction, by rail. Do you approve of my sending forward the subsistence train in manner proposed? If so, please answer. I would suggest that artillery, with a good infantry support, should be sent forward immediately. I propose this plan: Load a battery or part of a battery on cars, carry with it a sufficient infantry support; let this precede the supply train to some point where the battery can be unloaded and advanced by common road to Manassas, to recapture, if possible, the pieces taken, and prevent them from being used against the train. I have a strong force. One wrecking and one construction train now on the ground, with very efficient men. The track will be cleared and reconstructed in the shortest possible time, so as to advance trains.


H. HAUPT.

ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-11.20 a.m.
   In view of Burnside's dispatch, just received, would it not be advisable to thrown the mass of Sumner's corps here to move out with Franklin to Centreville or vicinity? Lower Rappahannock in a dangerous position. They would do better service in front of Washington.


GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.
 
Major-General HALLECK, Washington, D. C.

HEADQUARTERS FIRST CORPS, ARMY OF VIRGINIA,
Buckland Bridge, Va., August 27, 1862-11.40.
Major-General MCDOWELL,
Commanding Third Corps:
    I have driven the enemy's cavalry, which was one mile this side of the bridge, from the bridge. The bridge had been set on fire, which was extinguished, and I am now in possession of the same. Two pieces of artillery have been posted this side of the bridge. The brigade of General Milroy is now crossing. The enemy had some cavalry and one piece of artillery shown on the opposite side of the creek. The bridge will be repaired at once by my pioneers.
    Respectfully, yours,


   F. SIGEL,
   Major-General.


ALEXANDRIA, VA., August 27, 1862-11.60 a.m.
General HANCOCK,
General-in-Chief:
   General Hancock informs me that he has heard for two hours past heavy cannonading in the direction of Centreville. There is nothing between here and there; I understand there is some cavalry here. The report of artillery has not been heard for the past half hour. Information from train conductor. The troops that left at 5 were taken to Union Mills and while unloading the fighting was heard 2 miles beyond. Both artillery and musketry were heard. An officer reported we had lost two batteries-eight guns. A portion of troops on the Bull Run-Bull Run being only half a mile from where the train was unloaded. Rapid discharges of artillery were heard, and fighting was on the left of the road.


    JNO. J. KEY,
    Major, Aide-de-Camp.



ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-12.05 p.m.
    My aide has just returned from General Franklin's camp; reports that Generals Franklin, Smith, and Slocum are all in Washington. He gave the order to the next in rank to place the corps in readiness to move at once. I learn that heavy firing has been heard this morning at Centreville, and have sent to ascertain the truth. I can find no cavalry to send out on the roads. Are the works garrisoned and ready for defense?


GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
Major-General.

ALEXANDRIA, VA., August 27, 1862-12 m. (Received 1.30 p.m.)
Major General H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
    I have just learned, through General Woodbury, that it was stated in your office last night bank it was very strange that, with 20,000 men here, I did not prevent the raid upon Manassas. This induces me to ask whether your remark in your telegram to-day that there had been great neglect about Manassas was intended to apply to me? I cannot suppose it was, knowing, as you do, that I arrived here without information and with no instructions beyond pushing the loading of my troops. The bridge was burned before my arrival. I knew nothing of it till this morning. I ask as a matter of justice that you will prevent your staff from making statements which do such great injustice at a time when the most cordial co-operation is required.


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General.

ALEXANDRIA, VA., August 27, 1862-12.14 p.m.
General HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
     At Bristoe, 4 miles beyond Manassas, four trains coming up. First train fired into succeeded in passing, but ran into the rear of another train at Union Mills and blocks the road. Second fired into was thrown off. The conductor escaped, and has just reported. All the trains taken, probably-two trains certainly. Three trains were attacked by infantry; conductor thinks eight companies at least. There were eight successive volleys. This occurred at 8 o'clock last evening.


     JNO. J. KEY,
     Major, Aide-de-Camp.

Major-General HALLECK, Washington.
ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-12.20 p.m.
What bridges exist over Bull Run? Have steps been taken to construct bridges for the advance of troops to re-enforce Pope or to enable him to retreat if in trouble?
    There should be two gunboats at Aquia Creek at once. Shall I push the rest of Sumner's corps here, or is Pope so strong as to be reasonably certain of success? I have sent to inspect the works near here and their garrisons.
    As soon as I can find General Casey or some other commanding officer, I will see to the railway, &c. It would be well to have them report to me, as I do not know where they are. I am trying to find them, and will lose no time in carrying out your orders. Would like to see Barnard.


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General.


Major General H. W. HALLECK, Washington.
ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-1. 15. p.m.
    Franklin's artillery have no horses except for four guns without caissons. I can pick up no cavalry. In view of these facts, will it not be well to push Sumner's corps here by water as rapidly as possible, to make immediate arrangements for placing the works in front of Washington in an efficient condition of defense? I have no means of knowing the enemy's force between Pope and ourselves.
    Can Franklin without his artillery or cavalry, effect any useful purpose in front?
    Should not Burnside take steps at once to evacuate Falmouth and Aquia, at the same time covering the retreat of any of Pope's troops who may fall back in that direction?
    I do not see that we have force enough in hand to form a connection with Pope, whose exact position we do not know. Are we safe in the direction of the valley?


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General.


ALEXANDRIA, VA., August 27, 1862. (Received 1.20 p.m.)
Major-General HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
     I am now in this office.


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General.
 

Major-General HALLECK, Washington.
ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-1.35 p.m.
    I learn that Taylor's brigade, sent this morning to Bull Bridge, is either cut to pieces or captured; that the force against them had many guns and about 5,000 infantry, receiving re-enforcements every minute; also that Gainesville is in possession of the enemy. Please send some cavalry out toward Dranesville, via Chain Bridge, to watch Lewinsville and Dranesville, and go as far as they can. If you will give me even one squadron of good cavalry here, I will ascertain the state of the case. I think our policy now is to make these works perfectly safe, and mobilize a couple of corps as soon as possible, but not to advance them until they can have their artillery and cavalry. I have sent for Colonel Tyler to place his artillerymen in the works.
    Is Fort Marcy securely held?


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General.


WARRENTON JUNCTION, August 27, 1862-1.45 p.m.
General McDOWELL:
    Reno has his instructions, and is ahead of the wagon train.


    JNO. POPE,
    Major-General, Commanding.

WASHINGTON, D. C., August 27, 1862-1.50 p.m.
Major-General McCLELLAN,
Alexandria, Va.:
    Yes, I think Sumner's corps should come to Alexandria.* The enemy has appeared at Leesburg, and the commanding officer at Edwards Ferry asked for cavalry. Have you any to spare him? The enemy seem to be trying to turn Pope's right. Is there no way of communicating with him?


    H. W. HALLECK,
    General-in-Chief.

   *This is in answer to McClellan's dispatch of 11.20 a.m. See p.689. 


HEADQUARTERS FIRST CORPS, ARMY OF VIRGINIA,
Buckland Bridge, August 27, 1862-1.50 p. m.
Major-General MCDOWELL,
Commanding Third Corps:
    The brigade of General Milroy has advanced and is now 2 miles beyond the bridge, after the enemy had made an attempt to burn the bridge. He is directed to push his cavalry on to Gainesville and then take position on the fork to Thoroughfare Gap. General Milroy observed a train, which leaves no doubt that this is the enemy's rear guard which I have before me, and believe that the enemy is at Manassas by this time, and has beaten our forces there, and to proceed from there to Alexandria to destroy our depots.
     It seems to me necessary that our forces concentrate at Gainesville in pursuit of the enemy.
Being almost without cavalry, I beg leave to request you to send me one regiment from Warrenton, as cavalry is the only arm which may be of some avail under these circumstances. I cannot be without cavalry. I have only 150 men. Please send the first regiment you can find.
    Let the troops advance at once, because the enemy may throw himself on my advance and we could lose the bridge.


    Respectfully, yours,
    F. SIGEL,

    Major-General.
    P. S.-Please take care of my train, which is now at Catlett's Station.



WASHINGTON, D. C., August 27, 1862.
Major-General McCLELLAN,
Alexandria, Va.:
     No remark was made by me, or in my hearing, reflecting on you, in relation to Manassas. I did remark to General Woodbury, on receiving news of the capture of the train, that there must have been great neglect in permitting 500 of the enemy to make the raid, when we had some 20,000 men in that vicinity (not vicinity of Alexandria), and added that many of the forces sent to Pope could not have been very far off. It would have been perfect nonsense to have referred to you, when you had just arrived and knew nothing of the disposition of the troops. Indeed, I did not blame any particular person, but merely said there must have neglect somewhere. I think you must have misunderstood General Woodbury, for he could not possibly have drawn such an inference from anything I have said.


    H. W. HALLECK,
    General-in-Chief.



WARRENTON JUNCTION, [August 27, 1862]-2.20 p.m.
General McDOWELL:
    I have information, upon which I rely, from aides of Generals Banks and signal corps, reporting what fell under their own observation-that a heavy column of the enemy moved yesterday across the Sperryville pike in the direction of Gaines' Cross-Roads and Salem, passing along the east base of Buck Mountain. It is this movement of the enemy that I desire very much to know about, if it can be ascertained by observation.


    JNO. POPE,
    Major-General.


General HALLECK.
ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-2.30 p.m.
     Sumner has been ordered to send here all of his corps that are within reach. Orders have been sent to Couch to come here from Yorktown with the least possible delay. But one squadron of my cavalry has arrived; that will be disembarked at once and sent to the front.
    If there is any cavalry in Washington it should be ordered to report to me at once.
    I still think that we should first provide for the immediate defense of Washington on both sides of the Potomac.
    I am not responsible for the past, and cannot be for the future, unless I receive authority to dispose of the available troops according to my judgment. Please inform me at once what my position is. I do not wish to act in the dark.


     GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
     Major-General.


ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-2.30 p.m.
Major General AMBROSE E. BURNSIDE,
Falmouth, Va.:
The enemy are in possession of Manassas and Fairfax Station. Hold yourself in readiness to withdraw from Falmouth and Aquia Creek and to cover the withdrawal; don't move until further orders with your command, but embark all of Hunt's batteries that are not absolutely required at once. They are much needed here.
    By order:


    A. V. COLBURN,
    Assistant Adjutant-General.

    Take steps to cover the retreat of any of Pope's forces that may come in your direction.


SECOND CORPS, NEAR BEALETON, August 27, 1862.
Major-General McDOWELL,
Commanding Third Corps:
    GENERAL: Your dispatch, in duplicate, just received-2.30 p.m. My command is on the march and will be Warrenton Junction this evening.
   Respectfully, your obedient servant,


    N. P. BANKS,
   Major-General, Commanding.


HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Alexandria, Va., August 27, 1862-2.40 p.m.
Major-General HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
    Have you received my messages of 1.15 and 1.35 p.m.? I am waiting here at your request.


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General, Commanding.


WASHINGTON, D. C., August 27, 1862.
Major-General McCLELLAN,
Alexandria, Va.:
     I have already advised you to bring up Sumner's corps. Perhaps we may also bring up Burnside's, if deemed necessary. General Barnard has all the troops he asked for at the forts, but I can give you no details. I have sent for him to consult with you; nor do I know about the Bull Run Bridge. From your knowledge of the whole country about here you can best act. I have had no time to obtain such knowledge.
    There is no cavalry here, or, rather, only part of a small battalion. One company has been sent to scout up the river toward Edwards Ferry. It is very likely to be cut off.
    As you must be aware, more than three-quarters of my time is taken up with the raising of new troops and matters in the West. I have no time for details. You will therefore, as ranking general in the field, direct as you deem best; but at present orders for Pope's army should go through me.
    Gunboats are at Aquia Creek.


    H. W. HALLECK,
    General-in-Chief.

WARRENTON JUNCTION, August 27,[1862]-4 p.m.
General BURNSIDE, Falmouth:
    I send you the last order from General Pope, which indicate the future as well as the present. Wagons are rolling along rapidly to the rear, as if a mighty power was propelling them. I see to cause for alarm, though I think this order my cause it. McDowell moves to Gainesville, where Sigel now is. the latter got to Buckland Bridge in time to put out the fire and kick the enemy, who is pursuing his route unmolested to the Shenandoah, or Loudoun County. The forces are Longstreet's, A. P. Hill's, Jackson's, Whiting's, Ewell's, and Anderson's (late Huger's) divisions. Longstreet is said by a deserter to be very strong. They have much artillery and long wagon trains. The raid on the railroad was near Cedar Run, and made by a regiment of infantry, two squadrons of cavalry, and a section of artillery. The place was guarded by nearly three regiments of infantry, and some cavalry. They routed the guard, captured a train and many men, destroyed the bridge, and retired leisurely down the road toward Manassas. It can be easily repaired. No troops are coming up, except new troops, that I can hear of. Sturgis is here with two regiments. Four were cut off by the raid. The positions of the troops are given in the order. No enemy in our original front. A letter of General Lee, seized when Stuart's assistant adjutant-general was taken, directs Stuart to leaven a squadron only to watch in front of Hanover Junction, &c. Everything has moved up north. I find a vast difference between these troops and ours. But I suppose they were new, as they to-day burned their clothes, &c., when there was not the least cause. I hear that they are much demoralized, and needed some good troops to give them heart, and, I think, head. We are working now to get behind Bull Run, and, I presume, will be there in a few days, if strategy don't use us up. The strategy is magnificent, and tactics in the inverse proportion. I would like some of my ambulances; I would like also to be ordered to return to Fredericksburg and to push toward Hanover, or, with a larger force, to strike at Orange Court-House. I wish Sumner was at Washington, and up near the Monocacy with good batteries. I do not doubt the enemy have large amounts of supplies provided for them, and I believe they have a contempt for this Army of Virginia. I wish myself away from it, with all our old Army of the Potomac, and so do our companions. I was informed to-day, by the best authority, that, in opposition to General Pope's views, this army was pushed out to save the Army of the Potomac, an army that could take the best care of itself. Pope says he long since wanted to go behind the Occoquan. I am in great need of ambulances, and the officers need medicines, which, for want of transportation, were left behind. I hear many of the sick of my corps are in house on the road, very sick. I think there is no fear of an enemy crossing the Rappahannock. The cavalry are all in the advance of the rebel army. At Kelly's and Barnett's Fords much property was left, in consequence of the wagons going down for grain, &c. If you can push up the grain to-night, please do so, direct to this place. There is no grain here to-day, or anywhere, and this army is wretchedly supplied in that line. Pope says he never could get enough.


F. J. PORTER.

    Most of this is private. But if you can get me away, please do so. Make what use of this you choose, so it does good. Don't left the alarm here disturb you. If you had a good force you could go to Richmond. A force should at once be pushed out to Manassas to open road. Our provisions are very short.


F. J. P.

    After telegraphic, this dispatch will be sent to General Burnside.


WASHINGTON CITY, August 27, 1862-4 p.m.
Major-General McCLELLAN,
Alexandria, Va.:
     What news from the front?


    A. LINCOLN.


ALEXANDRIA, VA., August 27, 1862. (Received 5 p.m.)
Major-General HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
    Your dispatch received. All orders sent to General Pope will be sent through you.


   GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
   Major-General.

WASHINGTON, August 27, 1862-4.30 p. m.
General BURNSIDE:
    Do you hear anything from Pope?


   A. LINCOLN.


FALMOUTH, August 27, 1862-5 p. m.
The PRESIDENT:
    Nothing from Pope since his dispatch to General Halleck, which has just gone through. I sent full dispatches to General Halleck this morning of all that I know.


    A. E. BURNSIDE.

WAS DEPARTMENT,
Washington, August 27, 1862.
Major-General BURNSIDE, Falmouth, Va.:
    Unless the enemy appears in your front in force there is no haste in leaving Falmouth. The character of the enemy's movement on Pope's right is not yet proved to be in large force. Probably to-night will determine its character.


    H. W. HALLECK,
   General-in-Chief.

WAR DEPARTMENT,
Washington, August 27, 1862.
Major-General BURNSIDE, Falmouth, Va.:
    I am anxiously awaiting the result of your reconnaissance south of the Rappahannock. I can get no satisfactory information of the enemy's position of movements. His cavalry go all ground our army, destroying baggage and trains, while ours does nothing at all. This must be changed; and if the cavalry officers continue so inefficient report them for discharge.


    H. W. HALLECK,

ALEXANDRIA, August 27, 1862-6 p.m.
    I have just received the copy of a dispatch from General Pope to you, dated 10 a.m. this morning, in which he says: "All forces now sent forward should be sent to my right at Gainesville." I now have at my disposal here about 10,000 men of Franklin's corps, about 2,800 of General Tyler's brigade, and Colonel Tyler's First Connecticut Artillery, which I recommend should be held in hand for the defense of Washington. If you wish me to order any part of this force to the front, it is in readiness to march at a moment's notice to any point you may indicate. In view of the existing state of things in our front, I have deemed it best to order General Casey to hold his men for Yorktown in readiness to move, but not to send them off till further orders.


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General.


HEADQUARTERS FIRST CORPS, ARMY OF VIRGINIA,
Buckland Bridge, Va., August 27, 1862-8 p. m.
Major-General MCDOWELL, Commanding Third Corps:
    The First Corps is in bivouac between Gainesville and Broad Run, with the cavalry beyond Gainesville.
General Milroy captured about 100 prisoners, stragglers of the rebel army. One brigade formed the rear guard, which was driven back by my advance. It seems to me essential that we attack to-morrow, when it would be necessary to know the relations existing between the different commands here, and to know who will be in command in case of a battle if General Pope or yourself should not be here.
    Inasmuch s it is said that another force is said to advance from Salem, under command of General Longstreet, and that Jackson's troops are very tired and have used a great amount of ammunition, I think they should be attacked at once at Manassas Junction.
     Please inform me where General Cox's command is, and whether there is any hope of his joining me soon.
     I am, general, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


    F. SIGEL,
    Major-General, Commanding First Corps.


Major-General McDOWELL:
At daylight to-morrow morning march rapidly on Manassas Junction with your whole force, resting your right on the Manassas Gap Railroad, throwing your left well to the east. Jackson, Ewell, and A. P. Hill are between Gainesville and Manassas Junction. We had a severe fight with them to-day, driving them back several miles along the railroad. If you will march promptly and rapidly at the earliest dawn of day upon Manassas Junction we shall bag the whole crowd. I have directed Reno to march from Greenwich at the same hour upon Manassas Junction, and Kearny, who is in his rear, to march on Bristoe at daybreak. Be expeditious, and the day is our own.


    JOHN POPE,
    Major-General, Commanding.



BRISTOE STATION, August 27, 1862 - 9 p. m.
Major-General RENO:
    March at the earliest dawn of day with your command on Manassas Junction. Jackson, Ewell, and A. P. Hill are between Gainesville and that place, and if you are prompt and expeditions we shall bag the whole crowd.
    McDowell advances upon Manassas Junction from Gainesville at the same hour; Kearny on Bristoe. As you value success be off by the earliest blush of dawn. Acknowledge receipt of this, and, if necessary, have guards with your trains. Push across the country wherever artillery can be hauled. I rely on your speed.


   JNO. POPE,
   Major-General.

WARRENTON, 27th-p.m.
To General BURNSIDE:
    Morell left his medicine, ammunition, and baggage at Kelly's Ford. Can you have it hauled to Fredericksburg and stored? His wagons were all sent to your for grain and ammunition. I have sent back to you every man of the First and Sixth New York Cavalry, except what has been sent to Gainesville. I will get them to your after a while. Everything here is at sixes and sevens, and I find I am to take care of myself in every respect. Our line of communication has taken care of itself, in compliance with orders. The army has not three days' provisions. The enemy captured all Pope's and other clothing, and from McDowell the same, including liquors. No guard accompanying the trains, and small ones guard bridges.  The wagons are rolling on, and I shall be here to-morrow. Good night.


    F. J. PORTER,
    Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol.12, Part 2 and 3, Various.

Siegel and McDowell had been ordered by Pop to concentrate at Gainesville, Porter and Banks at Warenton Junction, and Reno and Heintzelman at Greenwich Station and Bristoe Station.  This put the Union troops in an advantageous position, with Jackson nearing Manassas at the Stony Ridge to the west of town.  After overcoming some of the confusion of the previous day (when it was thought the Confederates were headed back to the Valley), there still remained a general lack of coordination (as seen here) between Pope, Halleck, and McClellan.  In these messages you have McClellan in Alexandria sending troops forward, uncertain of his status and being told by Halleck to handle affairs but direct orders to Pope through him (and feeling offended, as always).  Pope is at Warrenton at the telegraph offices taking in various reports.  Halleck, in Washington, complains of being absorbed with affairs in the west. Lincoln is trying to get information from the field, and gets little.  Meanwhile, Porter is telling Burnside what a sorry state of affairs exists, in a manner most striking.  And, at the end of the day, Pope believes he is about to bag Jackson.

No comments:

Post a Comment