Thursday, August 16, 2012

August 17, 1862 (Monday): Lee Complains of D.H. Hill

Major General Samuel Gibbs French



HEADQUARTERS EAST OF ORANGE COURT-HOUSE,
August 17, 1862.
Mr. PRESIDENT:
    From dispatches just received from General French it appears certain that General McClellan's force has escaped us. I feel greatly mortifield, for through the material damage dealt him in the battles of the Chickahominy was not as great as I could have wished, he must have been so morally shattered as to have induced the belief that the safety of his army required his retreat and to have caused his abandonment of his present attack on Richmond. This of itself I feel as a great relief, but he ought not to have got off so easily. This induces me to say what I have had on my mind for some time. I fear General Hill is not entirely equal to his present position. An excellent executive officer, he does not appear to have much administrative ability. Left to himself he seems embarrassed and backward to act. If the people would think so, I really believe French would make the better commander of the department. This is only for you to think about, but I fear all was not done that might have been done to harass and destroy our enemies, but I blame nobody but myself. General Hampton may have picked up some stragglers, but that is all I can now hope for. I can only conjecture two positions that he will now assume: To ascend the Rappahannock, occupy Fredericksburg, and threaten Richmond from there, or to unite with General Pope. It is possible that hearing of the advance of our army in this direction it may have been taken advantage of to extricate him from his dilemma under the pretense of defending Washington. We shall, however, see, but we must lose no time in preparing to meet him wherever he may appear. I wrote you on this subject yesterday, and will not repeat. The troops had better march, begginning at once, using the railroad as far as it goes, and as a help to transport the feeble of all the divisions. By the time they reach Hanover Junction we shall probably hear where the new base is assumed. Colonel Northrop must make other provisions, and his arrangements must precede the movement of the troops. I beg you will excuse my troubling you with my opinions, and especially these details, but your kindness has led you to receive them without objection so often that I know I am tempted to trespass. I am getting the troops in position near the fords of Somerville Mills and Raccoon Ford of the Rapidan. They have preceded their transportation and the process is slow and tedious. I hope to succeedby to-morrow, all except Anderson's.
    With high respect, your obedient servant,


R. E. LEE,
General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 52, Part 1, Page 1075.

A stinging indictment of D. H. Hill as an administrator.  Lee would soon enough learn, during the Antietam Campaign, how poor an administrator Hill was when the "lost orders" passed through his hands on to McClellan.  From the tone of the letter it appears Lee entertained the hope that Hill would disrupt McClellan's withdraw.  The use of the term "mortified" is a strong construction to use if Lee's only intent had been to harass the retreating Union army.  The General French referred to here is Samuel Gibbs French, who was in charge of the Department of Southern Virginia and North Carolina.  He would be promoted in October to Major General and was sent west to join Johnston in the Vicksburg campaign. 

No comments:

Post a Comment