Monday, September 10, 2012

September 11, 1862 (Wednesday): Philadelphia Threatened?

Washington Street, Philadelphia (Historical Society of Pennsylvania)



HARRISBURG, PA., September 11, 1862.
(Received 8.30 p. m.)
His Excellency the PRESIDENT:
    I have information this evening of a private character, which I deem entirely reliable, that the whole of the rebel army has been moved from Frederick, and their destination is Harrisburg and Philadelphia. You should order a strong guard placed upon the railway lines from Washington to Harrisburg to-night, and send here not less than 80,000 disciplined forces, and order from New York and States east all available forces to concentrate here at once. To this we will add all the militia forces possible, and I think that in a few days we can muster 50,000 men. It is our only hope to save the North and crush the rebel army. Do not suppose for one instant that I am unnecessarily alarmed. I believe I know all that I have stated to be true. I have had the country examined west of the river to-day by competent military engineers, and their report this evening is that defensive works cannot be erected to be useful against 50,000 men. The enemy will bring against us not less than 120,000, with large amount of artillery. The time for decided action by the National Government has arrived. What may we expect?


    A. G. CURTIN,
    Governor of Pennsylvania.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC.
September 11, 1862-1.15 p. m.
Gov. ANDREW G. CURTIN, Harrisburg, Pa.:
    I am in hourly expectation of gaining definite news from Ridgevillle and New Market. I thought to-day to know definitely whether the enemy are still massed near Frederick; whether they have any force east of the Monocacy; whether they have moved on Hagerstown in large force. I now think nearly all their available forces is on this side of the Potomac.
    I would urge upon Your Excellency, in the event of their moving upon Pennsylvania, to take sure means to delay their advance by destroying bridges, obstructing the roads, harassing their front, flank, and rear, destroying supplies, &c. This in necessary to enable me to gain time to take the best route to foil their purpose.


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General, Commanding.

    McCain is at Harrisburg.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 19, Part 2, Pages 268-269.

McClellan is still in the dark as to Lee's intentions.  It seems remarkable, in retrospect, that Union leaders believed there was a chance Lee could threaten Philadelphia from Western Maryland.  It is one of the clearest indications of how little Union planners understood the strength and capabilities of their opposition.

No comments:

Post a Comment