Monday, September 24, 2012

September 25, 1862 (Thursday): Lee's Intentions

General Robert E. Lee

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF NORTHERN VIRGINIA,
Camp on the Opequon, near Smoketown, September 25, 1862.
His Excellency President DAVIS, Richmond, Va.:
    Mr. PRESIDENT: Since my letter of the 23rd instant, the enemy has been quiet. He is in occupation of Harper's Ferry, and has troops posted both on the Maryland and Loudoun Heights. I presume he will reconstruct the railroad bridge over the Potomac, and I see it stated in the Baltimore papers that a new bridge over the Monocacy has been built. When the railroad is open to Harper's Ferry he may possibly advance up the valley, where I shall endeavor to occupy and detain him.
    When I withdrew from Sharpsburg into Virginia, it was my intention to recross the Potomac at Williamsport, and move upon Hagerstown, but the condition of the army prevented; nor is it yet strong enough to advance advantageously. Some of the stragglers have been gathered in, but many have wandered to a distance, feigning sickness, wounds, &c., deceiving the guards and evading the scouts. many of them will not stop until they reach their distant homes.
    In a military point of view, the best move, in my opinion, the army could make would be to advance upon Hagerstown and endeavor to defeat the enemy at that point. I would not hesitate to make it even with our diminished number, did the army exhibit its former temper and condition; but, as far as I am able to judge, the hazard would be great and a reverse disastrous. I am, therefore, led to pause.
    I have written to General Loring suggesting the advantages, since the enemy has been driven from the Kanawha Valley, of proceeding down the Monongahela Valley, breaking up the railroad in the vicinity of Clarksburg, Fairmont, Cheat River, &c., and, should opportunity offer, of continuing his route into Pennsylvania and collecting horses and other necessaries for the army generally. I have told him to keep me advised of his movement should he undertake the expedition, that there may be co-operation, if practicable, between the two armies.
    I am, with the highest respect, your obedient servant,


   R. E. LEE,
   General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 19, Part 2, Page 626.

Lee's mind is still turned to the offensive, but he is realistic about the condition of his army.  His desire, after Antietam, was to recross at Williamsport and move on Hagerstown but the great amount of straggling prevented a reasonable chance of success.  Most telling is his description of stragglers, not just from lack of food or shoes, but from "feigning sickness, wounds, &c" in an attempt to get home.  The enthusiastic soldiers of 1861 who feared missing combat have been replaced by men who have grown tired of war.

No comments:

Post a Comment