Wednesday, June 12, 2013

June 13, 1863 (Saturday): Lincoln and the Incendiary Shells

General Joseph Hooker

WASHINGTON,
June 13, 1863-11. 30 a. m.
Major-General HOOKER:
     I was coming down this afternoon, but if you prefer I should not, I shall blame you if you do not tell me so.


    A. LINCOLN,
    President.


EXECUTIVE MANSION,
June 12, 1863-2 p. m.
Major-General HOOKER: If you can show me a trial of the incendiary shells on Saturday night, I will try to join you at 5 p. m. that day. Answer.


     A. LINCOLN.

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
June 12, 1863-6. 20 p. m. (Received 7 p. m.)
ABRAHAM LINCOLN,
President of the United States:
    If I am not very much mistaken, I shall be constrained to move my army on to the Orange and Alexandria Railroad before that time. I have three corps near there this time. I presume that General Halleck showed you my dispatch of this morning; also please see copy of my dispatch to General Dix of today.


     JOSEPH HOOKER,
     Major-General.

 JUNE 13, 1863.
The PRESIDENT:
     Mr. PRESIDENT: it may be well not to come.


    JOSEPH HOOKER,
    Major-General.

JUNE 13, 1863-7 p. m. (Received 7. 45 p. m.)
Major General H. W. HALLECK:
    All my sources of information confirm the statement that Longstreet`s and Ewell`s corps have passed through Culpeper and Sperryville, toward the Valley. The instructions of President, approved by yourself, and your original letter of instructions, compel me, in view of this movement of the enemy, to transfer the operations of this army from the line of the Aquia to the Orange and Alexandria Railroad. Accordingly, directions have been given for the First, Third Fifth, and Eleventh Corps to rendezvous at Manassas Junction with the cavalry. The Second, Sixth, and Twelfth, with the Reserve Artillery, after covering the withdrawal of Government property from depots, have been directed to march to Dumfries, and from thence to be governed by the movements of the enemy, the object being to bring the two wings together as far in advance on that line as tho movements of the enemy will justify. The corps will be withdrawn from their positions on the river to-night, the line being held by pickets until the proper time arrivers for their withdrawal. To-morrow p. m. my headquarters will be at Dumfries.


    JOSEPH HOOKER,
    Major-General.



    JOSEPH HOOKER,
    Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 27, Part 1, Pages 37-38.

Lee has stolen a march on Hooker.  The Union general is making his first moves, but they are without benefit of understanding Lee's full intentions.  Therefore Hooker is keeping his deployed forces close to Washington, lest Lee cross the Potomac, turn southeast and move on the Capital. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment