Sunday, June 23, 2013

June 22, 1863 (Monday): "I have not heard from him since."

Sketch of 1st Virginia Cavalry



HEADQUARTERS, June 22, 1863-3. 30 p. m.
Lieutenant General R. S. EWELL,
Commanding, &c.:
     GENERAL: I have just received your letter of this morning from opposite Shepherdstown. Mine of to-day, authorizing you to move toward the Susquehanna, I hope has reached you ere this. After dispatching my letter, learning that the enemy had not renewed his attempts of yesterday to break through the Blue Ridge, I directed General R. H. Anderson`s division to commence its march toward Shepherdstown. It will reach there to-morrow. I also directed General Stuart, should the enemy have so far retired from his front
as to permit of the departure of a portion of the cavalry, to march with three brigades across the Potomac, and place himself on your right and in communication with you, keep you advised of the movements of the enemy, and assist in collecting supplies for the army. I have not heard from him since. I also directed Imboden, if opportunity offered, to cross the Potomac, and perform the same offices on your left. I shall endeavor to get General Early`s regiments to him as soon as possible. I do not know what has become of the infantry of the Maryland Line. I had intended that to guard Winchester.
     I am, most respectfully, yours,


      R. E. LEE,
      General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 27, Part 3, Page 915.

Lee believes he has already directed Stuart to take the route indicated, but Longstreet (who held the note from Lee) did not give it to him until 7 p.m. on this date.  Stuart did, in fact, make the Hopewell Gap, but then went further east and subsequently did not maintain contact with Ewell.  As to as collecting supplies for the army, perhaps this phrase was taken by Stuart to a degree to authorize his subsequent "wagon hunting" expedition.     

No comments:

Post a Comment