Tuesday, November 8, 2011

November 9, 1861 (Friday): Joseph Johnston, Ever the Diplomat

Jackson's Headquarters at Winchester
HEADQUARTERS, Centreville, November 9, 1861.
General WHITING:
    DEAR GENERAL: I received your letter yesterday,* but was too much pressed to answer immediately.
I like you plan much; cannot answer for the guns. I have submitted your letter, with recommendations, to the War Department.
    I am mourning over the loss of Jackson's brigade, ordered to Winchester against my remonstrances. The Secretary of War will probably establish his headquarters within this department soon.

Yours, in haste,



J. E. JOHNSTON,
General.

*Not Found.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 5, Part 1, Page 944

Johnston wanted troops sent to the Valley from H. R. Jackson and Loring's commands instead of Jackson's veterans.  The War Department disagreed, with Benjamin fearing Winchester would be taken.  The loss of Jackson's troops was offset by twice the number of men sent West. Benjamin would never locate within Johnston's Department, but he would be a constantly felt presence, even at the distance to Richmond.

No comments:

Post a Comment