Tuesday, October 16, 2012

October 17, 1862 (Friday): "Your Excellency may be assured.."


Lincoln and McClellan
HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
Camp in Pleasant Valley, October 17, 1862.
His Excellency the PRESIDENT:
    SIR: Your letter of the 13th instant reached me yesterday morning by the hands of Colonel Perkins.
I had sent out strong reconnaissances early in the morning in the direction of Charlestown, Leetown, &c., and as sharp artillery fire was heard, I felt it incumbent to go to the front. I did not leave Charlestown until dark, so that I have been unable to give Your Excellency's letter that full and respectful consideration which it merits at my hands.
    I do not wish to detain Colonel Perkins beyond this morning's train; I therefore think it best to send him back with this simple acknowledgment of the receipt of Your Excellency's letter. I am not wedded to any particular plan of operations. I hope to have to-day reliable information as to the position of the enemy, whom I still believe to be between Bunker Hill and Winchester. I promise you that I will give to your views the fullest and most unprejudiced consideration, and that it is my intention to advance the moment my men are shod and my cavalry are sufficiently renovated to be available.
    Your Excellency may be assured that I will not adopt a course which differs at all from your views without first fully explaining my reasons, and giving you time to issue such instructions as may seem best to you.
     I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


    GEO. B. McCLELLAN,
    Major-General, U. S. Army.

Official Record, Series I., Vol. 19, Part 1, Page 16.

This is McClellan's response to Lincoln's letter of the 13th.  The answer is somewhat non-committal and likely did little to assuage the President.  He argues he is not wedded to any one plan of operations and promises he will not adopt a course differing from Lincoln's recommendations without discussing it first.  In essence, he is having to commit himself to behave as a subordinate and likely not being all that convincing at the task.  McClellan's best point is logistical, as he did have men and horses without shoes and inadequate cavalry to screen an advance.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment