Thursday, October 25, 2012

October 26, 1862 (Sunday): Obey, Or Else

Major-General William C. Rosecrans

WASHINGTON, D. C., October 26, 1862.
Major-General ROSECRANS,
Corinth:
    Your telegram of yesterday tothe President has been sent tothe War Department. Your conduct in this matter is very reprehensible, and I am directed to say that unless you immediately obey the orders sent to you you will not receive the command.


H. W . HALLECK,
General- in- Chief.


CAIRO, ILL, October 27, 1862 - 11.40 A. M.
(Received 4 p. m.)
Major General H. W. HALLECK,
General- in- Chief:
    I was astonished at your dispatch. I am obeying orders as fast as the ordinary mans of travel will carry me. My telegraph only means to say, as I could not get conveyeance from Cairo before this morning, I would spend the time in completely winding up my affirs at Corinth instead of lying idle at Cairo. If you desire more, please say what, and it shall be done if possible.


W. S. ROSECRANS,
Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 52, Part 1, Page 295.

Rosecrans had replied to his orders to replace Buell by asking for time to get his affairs in order in Corinth before reporting.  Halleck did not take the request well, and probably also did not appreciate Rosecrans immediately beginning direct correspondence with the President.

No comments:

Post a Comment