Tuesday, March 5, 2013

March 6, 1863 (Sunday): "A stampeder..."

General Robert H. Milroy

HEADQUARTERS ARMY OF THE POTOMAC,
March 6, 1863-1 p. m.
Major General H. W. HALLECK,
General-in-Chief:
    I have no means of verifying the suspicions of General Milroy. I only know that his general character is that of a stampeder, and that if a large cavalry force is in his front, I am puzzled to know where it came from. Certainly not from the army in my front. If my cavalry is to be sent there on the present information, a positive order will be required. That trip will disable my cavalry for service for six weeks. If General Milroy has 4,000 infantry, he should be able to take care of himself against any cavalry force the enemy can send against him.


     JOSEPH HOOKER,
     Major-General.

Official Records Series I., Vol. 25, Part 2, Pages 127-128.

Milroy believed he was threatened at Winchester by an accumulating Confederate cavalry force.  There was some shifting of forces in the area, but no major reinforcements and the danger was not as great as he apprehended.  Hooker harbored the prejudices West Point officers often felt toward civilian generals and shows some of that disdain here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment