Monday, September 9, 2013

September 10, 1863 (Saturday): Burnside Tries to Resign

General Ambrose Burnside

CUMBERLAND GAP, September 10, 1863.
(Received 8.10 p. m.)
His Excellency A. LINCOLN,
President of the United States:
     You will remember that I some time ago told you that I wished to retire to private life. The rebellion now seems pretty well checked, and the work I am doing can no doubt be as well, or better, performed by some one else, se that I can conscientiously ask to be allowed to resign, if you think the good of the service will permit. I shall be here tomorrow, and will be glad to get an answer. I look upon East Tennessee as one of the most loyal sections of the United States.


     A. E. BURNSIDE,   
     Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 30, Part 3, Page 523.

Burnside, like many soldiers of lesser rank, was weary of the war.  He believed, based on his experiences in the field, the main work in the west was already accomplished.  Burnside also likely still felt the weight of the disaster at Fredericksburg.  Lincoln would not accept his resignation, and he would ultimately return east to lead the Ninth Corp, before being removed from command for his handling of troops at Petersburg during the attempted breakthrough at the Crater.

No comments:

Post a Comment