Tuesday, September 17, 2013

September 14, 1863 (Wednesday): Crittenden Isolated


General T. L. Crittenden

HEADQUARTERS TWENTY-FIRST ARMY CORPS, Gordon's Mills, September 14, 1863-12.30 p. m.
Brigadier General J. A. GARFIELD:
     I have this moment returned from the front. I am confident that there is no considerable force of infantry near me at this time. My reconnaissance to the front proves that there is none in that direction as far out as 5 miles. The firing which Oldershaw thought was from Wilder's, was from Van Cleve's front, mostly from two rebel guns. Van Cleve has not reported, but I am satisfied they are not about to attack me here to-day. Indeed, I think I can whip them if they do-all of them. We are, I think, in a position that they can turn, but I also think they dare not pass me. If they should I can join General Thomas, or rather he can join me, and our army get together here or at La Fayette. But this is mere speculation. I don't think they will come.
     As there is no force of ours at Ringgold, had you not better order Minty, if he is near you, to leave some force at Rossville? I am afraid cavalry may come in from toward Ringgold, and cut off my communication. I will send you dispatch as soon as I get detailed report from my different reconnaissances.
      Very respectfully, your obedient servant,


      T. L. CRITTENDEN,
      Major-General, Commanding.

      [Indorsement.]


       Above just received from General Crittenden, 3.25 p. m.
       C. G.

One hundred and sixty men of Tenth Ohio, under Major Hudson, have just started for Rossville to guard the roads from there, particularly the Dalton road.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 30, Part 3, Page 632.

After the exchange at Lee & Gordon's the previous day Crittenden was isolated from the rest of the Union Army.  Here he does not appear fully aware of the danger of his position.  What preserved his security, at least temporarily, was that Bragg was waiting to bring Longstreet's men into his army.  They were now arriving in the area by rail from Atlanta. 

No comments:

Post a Comment