Saturday, May 3, 2014

March 10, 1864 (Thursday): Nathan B. Forrest-Tent Robber





HEADQUARTERS FIRST DIVISION, FORREST'S CAVALRY.
Mayhew Station, March 10, 1864.
General S. COOPER,
Adjutant and Inspector General, Richmond, Va.:
     GENERAL: On the 8th instant I was deprived of the tent which I was then using, and the only one in my possession, by order of Major-General Forrest, commanding this cavalry department. I therefore addressed a note to him, a copy* of which is inclosed. To-day I have been relieved from my command and ordered to report to Lieutenant-General Polk, which order I shall obey under protest. I respectfully ask for a court of inquiry upon my conduct in the matter, and that I may be restored to my command.
    I am, sir, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


     JAS. R. CHALMERS,
     Brigadier-General.

*Not Found

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 32, Part 3, Page 610.

Chalmers was an attorney.  After the war he would again be engaged in litigation, this time with regard to his being seated in the U.S. Congress, resulting in his become a member.  Despite this dust up, Chalmers complaint against Forrest was put to bed and he continued to serve under his command.

No comments:

Post a Comment