Monday, May 5, 2014

March 13, 1864 (Sunday): A Political General

General Franz Sigel

HEADQUARTERS DEPARTMENT OF WEST VIRGINIA,
Cumberland, Md., March 13, 1864.
His Excelleny the PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES,
Washington:
    SIR: After having taken command of this department I feel it my duty and it affords me the greatest pleasure to thank you for the confidence you have shown to me. I do not know whether I shall meet your expectations and those of the loyal people of this State, but will try the best I can to do so.
    With the assurance of my high respects, and with the sincerest wishes for your health and final success, I remain, your most obedient servant,


    F. SIGEL,
    Major-General.

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 51, Part 2, Page 1151.

Sigel was a leader in the German community, extremely important to the Union war effort.  He fought at Wilson's Creek, led a division in he Shenandoah Valley campaign, was in command of the I Corp, Union Army of Virginia at 2nd bull run, and left the army for a time due to ill health.  Early in 1864 he returned to active duty, commanding the Department of West Virginia.  He was a poor general, but widely admired by the German community and was respected by the administration for this.  Sigel here addresses the President as "His Excellency", no doubt owing to his European background.  But many others in the military also used this elaborate style of address.  Washington had initially used  "His High Mightiness, the President of the United States and Protector of their Liberties," at the suggestion of the Congressional Committee on titles, but had switched to "Mr. President" at the request of Madison and others.   

No comments:

Post a Comment