Monday, May 12, 2014

March 21, 1864 (Friday): To Sink An Ironclad

The Albemarle After Salvage (history.navy.mil)




HDQRS. DEPT. OF VIRGINIA AND NORTH CAROLINA,
Fort Monroe, March 21, 1864.
Acting Rear-Admiral S. P. LEE:
    I send inclosed a copy of statement* made to me by a reliable young man whom I sent to Hamilton, N. C., and who has just returned. I shall send a copy of the statement to the commanding officer at Plymouth, with directions to communicate it to the naval commander there. Why cannot we organize a little expedition to burn the iron-clad? It is only 20 miles from Plymouth.
    I have the honor to be, very respectfully, your obedient servant,


    B. F. BUTLER,
    Major-General, Commanding.

*Not found. 

Official Records, Series I., Vol. 33, Part 1, Page 711.

The Albemarle was built on the Roanoke River and commanded by James W. Cooke.  She was a relative success and her position at Plymouth occupied the minds of Union planners throughout her service.  She would be sunk in a small boat attack, as discussed here, in October of 1864.

No comments:

Post a Comment